* Upper body with red and orange blotches bordered with black, separated by yellow or white bands. The belly is whitish with irregular black markings
* Two subspecies are found in South Dakota
* Red milk snake (top),red head and snout
* Pale milk snake (bottom), orange head with black flecks
* Smooth scales
* Often mistaken for the poisonous coral snake (not found in South Dakota) and often killed. "Red touch yellow kill a fellow, red touch black good for jack"
* Diet: small vertebrates, including snakes, lizards, and mice
* Habitat: open prairies, sand dunes, and rocky hillsides near water sources
* Distribution: the red milk snake is found in the extreme southeastern counties. The pale milk snake is found in the counties adjacent to and west of the Missouri River.
TOP OF THE WORLD TOM CRUISE -
6 years ago